[pct-l] first night out

David Ellzey david at xpletive.com
Thu Mar 17 18:39:07 CDT 2011

Gerry,

As long as you abide by the laws, you are certainly within your right to carry while hiking. I personally have never researched the requirements for carrying a firearm on the PCT but you should look into the following:

1. I believe there are many places do not allow concealed carry without a permit.
2. CCW permits have restrictions as to where they are applicable, assuming you have a permit you will need to accommodate those constraints.
3. I'm pretty sure permits are restricted by state, with some states honoring other state's permits.
4. The national parks do not allow open carry, only legal CCW.
5. I believe California state parks do not allow firearms under any conditions.
6. A lot of people on the trail, your fellow hikers and trail angels that make up the PCT community experience did not grow up around firearms. They will be very uncomfortable in your presence during times you are required to open carry.
7. There is a good chance that trail angels will not allow you into their home's knowing you have a firearm. The alternative is to deceive the gracious hosts that are extending their home to you.
8. Check the laws about hitch hiking while carrying a firearm. Certainly in areas where you might have to open carry it might make for some long hikes into town.

So whereas I support your right to legally carry a firearm, it does seem to be a royal pain in the @ss to actually do it within the constraints of the law. I mean, the amount of trail that passes through California states parks is alone a huge deal. Also, you really don't want to alienate or deceive people you meet on the PCT, you will miss out on a big part of the experience if you do.

My suggestion is to reconsider the handgun and be open to exploring the trail on its terms. I think you will find that you will never really be alone (even if you want to be) during hiking season, and aside from the smell your fellow hikers are a harmless lot. Whatever your decision, I wish you a great hike. I wish I was out there this year.

BigToe