[pct-l] first day out

Mary Davison pastormaryd at msn.com
Thu Mar 17 23:22:16 CDT 2011

In 2008 I started hiking with a just barely recovered knee (from a staph
infection) and was sure I could not go all the way to lake Morena. I even
talked Starr Ranch into bringing me water because of the knee (not something
they have any intention of doing for healthy hikers) I passed the "campsite
area before going down to Hauser but did not stop there. For some reason it
just didn't seem right. Well, then, what to do? Just a bit after heading
left on that long traverse I spied through the bare thorny bushes what I
thought might be enough of a bare spot to put my tent and it worked. I woke
up early - 5? Or 6? - and heard many footsteps going by on the trail. I am
sure they were a group of illegals. My tent was not very visible from the
trail and uphill - not in line of sight while walking and my gray contrail
looked like the gray bushes.  I just kept quiet and they never knew I was
there. If you camp between Campo and Morena I would recommend you get off
the trail and out of sight - and don't start too early. It worked for me. I
was a single woman hiking and I was 66 that year.

Medicare Pastor