[pct-l] Conditions on section C

Halfmile list at lon.net
Fri Mar 18 13:46:19 CDT 2011

Carol,
The washed out area you are hearing about is the Deep Creek area [PCT
miles 298 - 314].
I think the PCTA will have more about this soon. Currently they have
this info online:

http://pcta.org/planning/during_trip/Trail_con_SC.asp?sect=C

Due to the winter deluge, there are some parts of the PCT from Devil’s
hole to Mojave Forks Dam that have washed out. This area has been
traversed by foot for scouting purposes but it was not pleasant nor
advisable. This area should definitely not be attempted by
equestrians. The San Bernardino National Forest Staff in conjunction
with PCTA staff and volunteers are working hard to find a solution as
some very labor intensive, technical work is need to fix this stretch
of trail. At this point in time, I would recommend that hikers by-pass
this section while we work to fix it. If a by-pass is necessary come
April, PCTA/USFS will have a temporary detour in place.

Also be aware of the pending closure of the unpaved section of Hwy 173
near Deep Creek and Mojave Forks Dam. This road closure should not
effect hikers, except perhaps section hikers setting up car shuttles.
See this link:
http://www.pctnews.com/?p=149

I will have updated news about this and other important hiker news at
http://www.pctnews.com

-Halfmile
www.pctmap.net
www.pctnews.com