[pct-l] Gun on PCT?

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 18 16:02:56 CDT 2011

Although I am pro gun rights, I did not bring one on the PCT. I could see no
real need.

Riding long distances out of my ranch in Comptche (inland 15 miles from
Mendociino) I usually brought my revolver because of the Mountain Lions. Over
the years I have seen lots of them, as well as bears, in those coastal
mountains. The bears out there are no problem because they always run away when
they see you. The lions do too. I always feel blessed and lucky when I see
one. But - I know of two cases when a lion attacked a horse. In one case, about
25 years ago, the rider was riding after dark and a lion jumped on the back
of his horse behind the saddle. The horse bolted and shook off the lion.
Probably a rogue lion. Up there lions often kill sheep - and the rancher could
call the county trapper who would shoot the lion - if he could find it.

The reason I usually carried a sidearm was that I often rode alone, and
fast, over long distances conditioning for endurance racing, sometimes a loop of
over 50 miles. I only rarely saw another person on the backcountry trails and
old log roads that I used. I saw lions almost as often as I saw humans - perhaps
one lion for every 15 or 20 human sightings. And that's quite a few. Now to
explain the reason I carried a gun. If I had a horse accident and was hurt and
there was BLOOD, I would be a wounded animal and a easy meal for a hungry lion.
The gun, and the fire that I would build, were for protection. On the PCT I ride
slow, at the walk, and I am cautious - I don't take risks with my horse. I felt
no need to carry a gun.

MendoRider/Ed Anderson