[pct-l] Poison oak - Seiad Valley to Ashland

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 19:01:52 CDT 2011

Hi Doug,
I get poison oak, and know it in all it's stages as you can get it winter
and summer, from the leaves or just the sticks.  I mushroom around the stuff
and have learned to be careful.  I can't remember if you are NOBO or SOBO,
but last year I hiked NOBO, and down into Seiad Valley from the Marbles, and
it was unavoidable.  The trail was overgrown with it pretty badly in places,
and even pushing it out of the way with hiking sticks didn't stop me from
getting it all over my ankles and lower legs.  Had I known it would be this
bad, I would have brought along a tube or bottle of Tecnu, which is a
cleanser specifically for poison oak, and a bit of industrial strength skin
barrier.  I used to have a tube of skin barrier made to protect workers skin
from caustic chemicals, but don't remember what brand it was, or what
happened to it.  It was given to me by a petrochem worker, and I used it for
several mushroom seasons, and liked it.  I'm sure if you research skin
barriers, you'll find something.  Put that stuff on your legs before you
enter a PO area, and remember it will be all over your shoes and socks, both
of which should be washed in Seiad Valley, with detergent, before you wear
them again.

I had it so badly by Seiad Valley that I took a dose of prednisone to
relieve it, and then walked up and out of Seiad Valley on the dirt road, one
of the alternatives.  I just  didn't want to get it again, it was too
miserable.  Also somewhat effective is to leave yourself really dirty, and
with lots of your body's natural oils on the surface before you get into an
area you know PO will be present, as your natural oils are quite effective
as a skin barrier.  Not hard for thru hikers.  You guys will be filthy if
you live up to your "Dirty Hiker Trash" name.

I hope trail crews will have cleared the overgrowth on this section by this
year.  Last year they were focused on the incredible blow downs, and I think
the berries and PO were left for later.  Some of this section was completely
covered by thimble berries, three to five feet high which we ate and were
delicious, but plenty of PO was in there too.

Shroomer