[pct-l] Permit

Ate Tuna atetuna at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 19:48:23 CDT 2011

Standard visitors permit.  Location of entry point, exit point, itinerary,
etc.  I'm looking at mine right now.  It also has a big stamp that says NO
FIRES. Would I get one?  Probably not.  When I've asked the rangers, they
said you can't get a permit in advance, can't self register on the spot, so
you must go to one of their offices during their limited business hours.
 It's extremely unlikely that you'll see a ranger on the trail.  Other than
the visitors center on Mount Laguna, I've only seen rangers at Boulder Oaks
and they didn't ask about a permit.  The Cleveland NF permit is similar, but
not exactly the same as the ones you'd get for the San Jacinto area.  While
I've heard there may be occasional restrictions on the number of permits
issued for the San Jacinto area, there is no restriction for the Cleveland
NF.  The permit for the Cleveland NF seems to be nothing more than a way to
have an itinerary in case search and rescue has to go looking for you.