[pct-l] Permit

Halfmile list at lon.net
Mon Mar 21 22:20:20 CDT 2011

Shelly,
I have been told you need a permit for camping in wilderness areas, so
potentially you would need one for the Hauser Wilderness and for the
San Jacinto Wilderness. Once I called the Cleveland NF office in
Alpine [619-445-6235] and they faxed me a permit with no charge. I'm
not sure the Hauser Creek is actually in the Hauser Wilderness. I
think the wilderness boundary is actually on the south side of the
unpaved road north of the creek, but the permit was easy to get and I
didn't question the person on the phone who said I needed it.

The San Jacinto Wilderness is the more important permit you will need.
I have always obtained them at the ranger station in Idyllwild. They
do have a bunch of volunteers patrolling up there checking permit
especially on weekends. I have had my permit checked there several
times. The San Bernardino NF web list the ranger station phone number
as 909-382-2921.

It would be interesting to know if the Cleveland National Forest will
give you a permit valid through to your exit in the San Bernardino
National Forest. That's how works up in the Sierra. If you hike the
John Muir Trail you get a permit either from either Yosemite NP or
Inyo NF good for your whole trip, depending on where you start your
hike. The permit is valid in all the parks and national forests you
travel through. I don't see why it would be different in southern CA,
but it might be. I will be interested in hearing how this works out.

-Halfmile