[pct-l] Hiking Section A now

Ate Tuna atetuna at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 15:10:11 CDT 2011

It's pretty easy at those elevations.  The first time I hiked the length of
the Lagunas was also after a storm brought snow, in my case, all the way
down to the border.  I think there might have been more snow on my hike than
the Lagunas has right now.  I haven't been hiking out there this year, so I
don't know if snow has been sticking around in the darker areas of the
trail.  I had a bit of concern going into Long Canyon after I discovered
that my lousy printer didn't print the coordinates on the Halfmile maps and
I hadn't been able to get the track or waypoints loaded to my gps.  I stayed
on the contour I was already on because I knew I would go down somewhat, but
going down sooner than required does not look good.  So in that part, just
do what looks doable.  A little before Burnt Rancheria I went around the
wrong side of a tree.  I might have gone slightly off trail in the flat
wooded area before the drinking fountain, but eventually you'll get funneled
onto the trail between the campground and a barbwire fence.  Finding the
trail wasn't a problem at all after that.

If you're using a good copy of Halfmile maps and generally know where you
are on them, and can use a compass to get you going in generally the right
direction, you'll do great out there.  There's really nothing to worry about
if you get disoriented because the highway is so close.  Enjoy your hike!