[pct-l] Snow Gear Mail Drop

Lisa Freathy rainorshinecamper at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 22 22:16:56 CDT 2011

I have decided to send myself my snow gear (micro spikes/ice ax) for use in the
San Jacintos (and if not needed by then great, I'll bounce ahead) but I am not
exactly sure where to send.

I had read suggestions to mail into Idyllwild so that was my original plan,
however I plan to access Idyllwild via the Devil's Slide Trail which I am now
realizing is at higher elevation, above 8000 ft. So I am wondering if I should
mail earlier to Paradise Cafe on HWY 74 in order to have as I go up in
elevations approaching the Devils Slide. Would this be too early or would there
be a possibility of needing/wanting these items on the climb? Fuller Ridge is
after the Devil's Slide Trail, this is where I hear most sketchy snow/ice
experiences... would mailing to Idyllwild be fine as Fuller is the only area I
might want this gear?

Any experience in the snow/ice here would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
 Lisa

"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb
a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean."
~ John Muir