[pct-l] KNIFE?

giniajim jplynch at crosslink.net
Thu Mar 24 07:30:42 CDT 2011

I carry a small multi-blade knife.  I've had several (many?) knives ranging in weight from one to three ounces.  The one ounce knives are too small to be any practical use, the three ouncers have too many blades and tools that aren't really useful very often.  A good two ouncer seems to be the best balance between weight and practicality.  I look for a sturdy main blade (two-inch), an awl tool, a can opener-screw-driver tool (for Phillips-type screws), a bottle opener-screwdriver (for slotted-type screws).  Other tools that are useful are tweezers, toothpick, scissors, a nail file, a small blade, cork-screw.  Generally to get these last, you're moving up into a the three-ounce realm and these get pretty bulky too.  My knife right now is a 1.75 ounce Victorinox (one of the two Swiss Army knife makers).  It has a main blade, the two opener-screwdrivers, and a nail file.