[pct-l] KNIFE?

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 10:10:25 CDT 2011

I found some cool multi tools in hikerboxes.  People start with a lot of
stuff they think they've just got to have, but when they haven't used it by
the end of the Sierra, those really cool tools start being left in the hiker
boxes or sent home.  The lighter I got the faster I went, and I think it's
the same for most.  Or, at least the more easily I went.  That in mind, I
used a small Swiss Army type knockoff.  I used it often however, and it
stood up well to the rigors of cutting a line every now and then, but most
usually, just for slicing up all the wonderful wild mushrooms in WA toward
the end of the trip.  Chanterelles, porcini, bears head, chicken of the
woods, oysters, Damn what a state!  It was worth slicing them up real nice
before sauteing them in the butter everyone carried who hiked with me.  A
cheapo worked just fine, but if I ever found myself in the conditions Paul
has in mind, those cheepos would probably just fall apart, and you'd wish
you had one of his nice ones.

By the way, I'm up on the Mendocino coast helping a friend tear down on old
cottage, lots of bobcat work, and it's been pouring for days.  What that
means is snow, snow and more snow, in the Sierra.

Shroomer