[pct-l] KNIFE?

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Thu Mar 24 12:03:49 CDT 2011

I just started reading this thread and it got me thinking.  I carry a
knife less than one ounce.  It has a 2" blade.  I also carry a compass
and whistle on the same lanyard.  I can't remember when I needed to use
any of the three.  I carry duct tape, butterfly bandages and a bit of
neosporin ointment as a first aid kit.  I've not used any of the three
despite having stabbed myself crossing a log and number of times -
puncture wounds, and abraded myself slipping down rocks or falling.

I'll tell you, pulling a a two inch twig a third of an inch thick buried
an inch in my calf out was not fun.  it bled enough I wasn't too worried
about infection.  It sure got sore though...

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD