[pct-l] getting steamy...

Ron Dye chiefcowboy at verizon.net
Thu Mar 24 17:09:36 CDT 2011

I used to refer to hiking poles as "sissy sticks" and would NEVER use them -
that is until one time on the John Muir Trail when I was having extreme knee
pain.  As I crossed Paiute Creek there was a hiking pole stuck in the brush
having been swept from a previous hiker.  I used it the remainder of the JMT
and it saved my knee.  When I returned home I invested in a set of Lekis and
now I use them always.  I find they transfer weight to my arms and shoulders
on ascensions giving my legs a partial respite.  On descending, I use them
to lower my body down gently greatly reducing the shock impact to my knees,
other joints and also my gear.

Leki has an incredible customer service program.  On my 2009 thru hike as I
rested on a 300 pound boulder, it shifted and rolled forward breaking one of
my poles in half.  Leki replaced it even though something like that would
never be covered under a normal warranty.

I love my poles.