[pct-l] Shakedown trip

Paul Robison paulrobisonhome at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 25 21:20:09 CDT 2011

All,

Next week i had planned a shakedown trip on a local trail... It has a few 10 to 15 mile loops and various camping spots.  I'm off work now and figured my wife and I could put some 13 to 15 mile days in with our actual pct gear but there one problem...

... It's going to be like 15 deg. F. And im just not comfortable in my pct gear at that range... If it gets to single digits at night my neo air and top quilt just aren't going to cut it.

Any tips on how to train with my gear in this climate?   What have fellow canadiens / northern USA people etc been doing to test their gear in the cold?

Obviously we could just make it into some overnighters,  but it hardly seems worth it if it's not at least 4 or so days from a 'testing' perspective.

How are all of you testing your gear??

All responses are greatly appreciated... Especially from any tundra-nites

~Paul
Sent from my iPod