[pct-l] Food Bags

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Mar 25 22:01:37 CDT 2011

Good evening, Gery,

The entire PCT corridor is “bear country”, with probably a good many more in
population than you would ever guess.  “Bear country” isn’t the problem; the
problem is “habituated-bear country”, i.e, where lots of tourists – and
other irresponsible campers – have let bears get into people-food, and
henceforth into a life of crime, sometimes for several generations.

The big California National Parks are great at not only attracting lots of
visitors, but they also ban hunting.  N. California, Oregon, and Washington
allow hunting so bears have learned over the last 12,000 years to keep their
heads down when they encounter humans.

 Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09