[pct-l] nPower PEG -- some unfortunate numbers

David Lippke lippke.list at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 22:16:02 CDT 2011

Kevin, as much as I love alternative energy, I'm afraid the numbers just
don't work on any level for the nPower PEG.

I've compared the power requirements per talk minute, battery capacities,
conversion efficiencies, etc, of the various iPhones and have mapped those
into nPower's stated specifications.   Those tell me that the PEG generates
less than 0.1 mwh per minute of walking.   I'd be happy to lay all the
calculations out but, at the end of the day, it only takes nPower's own
numbers to convict it --

nPower states that it takes 26 minutes of walking to obtain 1 minute of
talking on a 3G call using an iPhone 3G.  Since a new iPhone 3G will do
about 340 minutes of 3G talking, give or take, that means that you would
have to walk for 147 hours to charge the phone (26 * 340) / 60.   So that
means that you would have hiked for 15(?) days carrying 11-12oz when you
could have gotten the same charge for less than 3 oz (iGo powerXtender + 2
lithium AAs).

Looking at it economically, if a PEG costs $160 and an iGo costs < $20 and
two lithium AAs cost $5, this means that you could charge the iPhone 28
times (140 / 5) at the same price of of AA charging.    And to charge the
iPhone 28 times with the PEG means that you'd have to walk for 4125 hours(!)
or 412(?) days -- and of course the recharging efficiency will be dropping
all the time and so even this extreme number would fall short.

I didn't look at the personal energy cost of carting the extra 8oz all that
ways but of course a "Ray-sian" calculation would do its own frowning on the
solution as well.

The net for me is that the nPower PEG is a very neat idea but it just is not
efficient or powerful enough to warrant carriage on the basis of cost
effectiveness (or convenience).

On the other hand, maybe (maybe) using it cuts landfill and pollution loads
and that or other reasons might make it worth it for some.  My wife thinks
it looks like it might be the perfect instrument -- when applied to my head
-- for adjusting my behavior!   :-}

/David