[pct-l] Weather!

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 00:04:42 CDT 2011

Holy shit Diane!
I've camped right there many times since 1965 or so, and have never seen the
Sisquoc in that condition.  I used to go there as a teenager, and later took
youth groups there all winter long.  Near the confluence with the Manzana,
or near the old schoolhouse must be incredible.

For those who don't know the Sisquoc, it's one of the places that is so
remote, that the last of the wild condors lived right there.  Even when
there were only 25 left in the wild, I saw them each time I backpacked in
that area.  Really worth a trip someday.  On the east ridge, a long days
hike from South Fork, is a place called Painted Rock with petroglyphs so
magical we couldn't believe the place.  A cave with an opening you had to
squeeze through to get into, but then with a window onto a gorgeous potrero,
and all the animals of he Chumash world painted all around you on the walls
of this round cave.  It was like entering the womb of the world.  I later
learned that it was kind of "Mecca" for the Chumash, and that cave was the
birth place of all the animals in their world.  One of only a couple of
really sacred spots I've ever been to, where you could feel the power of the
place.  One of the others was Delphi in Greece, so you get the specialness
of Painted Rock.  Anyway, it's just a day up hill from these raging waters.

Wow, how rivers can change overnight.  Today I hiked Mt. Diablo in the rain
and sleet again, and a usual puddle in the trail had become a lake.  No way
around it due to thick chaparral and poison oak, so we just did our old High
Sierra thing, and waded it fully clothed.  It was fresh ice water, and up to
our belts.  I forgot how painful that icy water in the Sierra is.  The only
good thing about wading icy streams is that within 30 seconds of coming out
the other side, the relief of not being in it makes your legs and feet feel
absolutely warm by comparison.  You then just hike off fast and stay warm.
 I had a relatively new hiker with me, who thought I was nuts, but he
followed along anyway, and got the whole experience.  Within a short time he
was wet, but warm, just from his exertion.  We still had about 3,000
vertical feet and 5 miles to go, and he did just fine, and came out
realizing that he could hike wet, and be OK.  Training in inclement
conditions is sooooo good for us all.

Thanks for the link Diane.  I love that Santa Barbara backcountry.

Shroomer