[pct-l] Hiking poles?

Gerry Zamora gerry0625 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 14:52:44 CDT 2011

So I just got my poles maybe 1 week ago been using them on local trails
trying to get a feel to them and I came across some old timers maintaining
the trail in my 15 years walking these trails first time I see any trail
maintenance.  He began to ask me about my hiking poles and how I liked um
and began to explain that he does not use them as he feels they damage the
trail.  I told him that this is an equestrian trail and if any thing its the
horses and mountain bikes.  He kinda gave me that look and I knew that was
my que and I said thank you for his work and have a good day.  Shortly after
I was looking around and next all the bike tracks I could see these little
holes everywhere took me a minute and I realized that they are hiking pole
tracks... I see plenty of people with um never gave it much thought.  So my
question is are we doing more harm than good?  How much less damage are our
hiking poles causing.  On another note I do like them as I said my first
week using them and I can see why everyone loves um I can only imagine on a
thru hike or section hike...
Gerry0625