[pct-l] Hiking poles?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Mar 26 20:43:52 CDT 2011

Good evening,

A berm can form from any kind of trail traffic, which eventually will
encourage erosion, but the worst offenders are bicycles and motorcycles.  Both
are bad because they tend to cut long, relatively continuous, groves in the
trail surface – particularly on hills -- which absolutely beg water to
follow and quickly make deep erosion paths.  We are very concerned about
this effect here in the Pacific NW where it rains a good bit.

Bicycle tires tend to have a higher inflation pressure, which equals ground
contact pressure, making narrow but deep groves.

Motorcycles use lower inflation pressure so they potentially won’t penetrate
as deeply, but with great engine horsepower available they tend to spin
high-traction tires often – mostly just for fun – which actually digs groves
rather than just impressing them.

Pack and saddle animals are a distant third as damage-creators, because
their footprints are round and staggered don’t create long, continuous cuts
in the trail.  Where stock causes the greatest damage is in wet areas like
meadows and creek approaches, and on steep hills where their scrambling
tends to kick out water bars which were placed – at great effort – to
control drainage.

Hiker’s footprints have very low impact and are barely noticeable.  Little
trekking pole pecks on the ground are sometimes noticeable, but their damage
is minimal.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09