[pct-l] GPS Help,

Stewart Johns stewfjohns at att.net
Sun Mar 27 07:36:33 CDT 2011

Paul Writes:  hello GPS Aficionados, especially halfmile !

i have a question that is more for a training hike than the PCT...

... i have a route i want to take, and i would like to make a 'track' to follow
on google earth,  then upload it to my GPS.   i have the garmin topo 24K's, but
it doesn't have two of the dirt roads i will be going on.

how can i take a google or mapquest route,  and overlay it onto my garmin?   can

i 'draw' a route free-form onto basecamp somehow and save it as a track?

thanks so much for any info,

~Paul

I found this program that lets you convert a Google map route into a gpx file
that you can load into mapsource and then in to your Garmin gps.  I have not
tried this yet, so I don't know how well it works.  Here is the link to the
website.  http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

Coincidentally, Ray Jardine talks about this same thing at his website under
News, and gives instructions on how to do this.
http://www.rayjardine.com/News/index.htm

Hope this helps.  Let us know if it worked or not.

Doc Holiday