[pct-l] SPOT messenger vs McMurdo PLB

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Mar 27 18:02:19 CDT 2011

>> ...only a fool would not bring one, or some other reliable rescue
>> signaling device.
>
> Sorry, MendoRider, but I definitely have to disagree with that
> statement!

I have to disagree as well. Every time they come up with some new
device now I'll be a fool for not bringing it? I don't want to buy a
bunch of expensive, needy electronics that I have to feed batteries
to when all I want to do is go for a little walk in the woods. How
did we all backpack in the 70s? Can I not get away from all this
electronic pollution, the noise pollution of their insistent beeping
and the mental pollution of having to keep them powered and figure
out their annoying user-interfaces (plus the mental pollution of
having to make user-interfaces at work all day long and now here's
some beeping user interface telling me what to do out on the trail)
plus the toxic pollution of their circuits, plastic and batteries. I
just want to get away from all that. Go ahead and keep the helicopter
home when I need it most if that's what it takes to let me have a
little peace and solitude in the woods.