[pct-l] Campo to Warner Springs

Peter Shaw pshaw999 at cox.net
Tue Mar 29 23:16:44 CDT 2011

Paul,

I believe your math is wrong. I actually reached the border in 132 ½ days
after leaving Campo and that period divides into the “official” distance of
2650 miles to give an exact daily average of 20.0 (I’m an engineer and
cannot help being so anal retentive - I actually beat the target I set by
two hours). That pace includes all of the zeros & neros I took. My point
about Dan’s late start is if he leaves on 26 May that is 17 days later than
I started. If he maintains my pace, then he’ll arrive on 5 Oct. As you
pointed out, the risk of taking the hike into October is the potential for
big snow storms in Washington, but that is clearly the gamble he is going to
take.  If Dan can pull off 25 miles per day (including zeros, etc) then
he’ll get there in 106 days or  9 Sep. Personally, I think that is a tough
challenge for most people although quite possible. I met a guy on day 3 who
left Campo the day after me and was one of the first to arrive in Canada in
‘09. But I was giving him a 30 years advantage. Don’t get me wrong, I know
it’s not a race and we all should simply adopt our own individual pace that
is comfortable and minimizes injury risk. But I just don’t think Dan has
eliminated his chance of finishing with a late May start date based on my
trip stats (which I consider to be about average). Whether Dan can match or
even exceed that pace is for him to decide on his own.

Peanut Eater