[pct-l] Rope for spring stream crossings

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Mar 30 21:32:36 CDT 2011

Do not use rope tied to yourself while crossing a nasty creek! If you fall
in, it will only cause you to go further under and keep you there.

A rope tied between two trees and held onto by hand for balance would be the
only way we'd suggest the use of rope during a river or creek crossing.

Learn how to avoid crossing while the flow is highest. Seek out the driest
crossing upstream or downstream on rocks or logs or simply hopping the
narrower tributaries that feed the main stream. Choose the shallowest
crossing with the least whitewater and where you can see the creek bottom.
Choose which way you want to cross, facing the opposite bank or facing
upstream. Find a reliable way to have a "third leg," utilizing a long stick
or the use of your poles for balance. Decide what you're going to use to
protect your feet while you're sliding along the creek bottom between
granite rocks, sticks, and stones. Be prepared to change socks, at least,
once on the other side. Figure out a way where your feet will be able to dry
out in order to stay warm and dry once back on the snow.

Leave the rope at home.

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education