[pct-l] snowed out of my shakedown ...

Mike Schaeffer chiefrat2006 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 31 08:45:32 CDT 2011

I just got back from a two week training hike on the Benton MacKaye Trail.  The
only gear change from the PCT hike was a Whisperlite stove on the BMT rather
than the alcohol stove I will carry on the PCT.  With five of us old cronies
hiking together, I thought the gas stove made more sense.

Otherwise, I used the gear I plan on taking on the PCT.  It gave me a good
chance to practice pitching the new tent, learning that I need to tie the liner
into the sleeping bag, figuring out where to carry stuff in my new pack (finally
went internal frame after carrying a Tioga since 1975), and getting experience
hiking in trail runners rather than boots.

I highly recommend a training camp prior to a thru hike.  I had a great chance
to get in shape,  familiarize myself with my new gear and have ten days at home
to finish getting everything ready for the Big Hike.

Mike Schaeffer
AT '78
PCT '11