[pct-l] Rope for spring stream crossings

Peter Shaw pshaw999 at cox.net
Thu Mar 31 09:27:21 CDT 2011

Shroomer,

I have to correct your misconception about Kern. He did not fall off a log.
He was on a log laying over the Kern river but it didn't go all the way
across. At the end of the log he needed to jump to the river bank, but he
didn't feel he would make it with his pack on. So he took it off and tossed
it across the flowing water. It landed about 16 ins beyond the water line on
a flat part of the river bank. Inexplicably, however, it bounced directly
backwards into the water and was gone in an instant. I know this because I
drove Kern from Independence to Bishop and then back to Onion Valley several
days later and he went through the scenario in great detail. But you're
right about the outpouring of support from not only the hiker community but
also the companies that make much of our lightweight gear. He was back on
the trail within a week with a new pack full of brand new gear. Thanks to
Moa from New Zealand, he also got a new set of the PCT Atlas so he had no
navigation worries.

Even though the conventional wisdom is to loosen your pack straps, and that
is what I did, I always wondered whether it was the better option. I found a
loose pack very destabilizing and I believe increased my chances of falling
off the log many fold. I guess it all boils down to the conditional
probabilities of falling off the log with or without the straps loosened and
if you fall in the probabilities of surviving with and without the straps
loosened. It's an interesting math problem that I don't plan on any personal
experimentation to solve. To me the bottom line was don't fall in.

Peanut Eater