[pct-l] First Aid Kit, was: Re: quick First Aid Quiz

Ann Marie dbanmrkr at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 31 15:57:54 CDT 2011

Re: neosporin
I've always carried this and was startled to find this out
yesterday:   my dermatologist doesn't recommend this product.
I had a small skin biopsy yesterday which also required small
stitches. The recommended cleaning procedure is to clean with a
half-and-half mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water to remove
crust (blood), and then apply an ointment such as Bacitricin
(or Polysporin or Aquaphor) and a band-aid. According to my
doctor, Neosporin can impair wound healing and cause an allergic
reaction. I've never had either happen, but the cost difference
between Bacitricin and Neosporin isn't much difference.

And only Tylenol is recommended for pain if you have an open
wound - aspirin and Ibuprofen can increase bleeding leading to
scarring.

Amazing I survived in the past...I've used both aspirin and
Neosporin a lot for all my previous wounds.    :)