[pct-l] Rope for spring stream crossings ( Chris "Chance" dePolo)

Chris dePolo cdepolo at ymail.com
Thu Mar 31 19:20:10 CDT 2011

When crossing streams I never unhook my buckles.  I like the stability of having
my pack tight against my body.

More than that I also believe that my pack provides some flotation, especially
with a bear canister, which I have experienced first hand.  If i hadn't had my
pack buckled it would have floated on the surface while I sank.  Then in all
likelyhood I would have lost it.  Even without a canister I feel you have at
least 30 seconds before It becomes flooded.  Most are at least water resistant.

Second if I ever get swept away in some rapids I think that my pack would
provide a pretty decent buffer, a cushion for any rocks that I may or may not
bump into.

I am very comfortable in the water and I believe that I could unbuckle my pack
in a hurry if need be without panicking.

Just my two cents.