[pct-l] SOBO alternate to backtracking

shon mcganty smcganty at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 31 16:29:52 CDT 2011

I've heard enforcement of the no entry to U.S. via the PCT has been occuring, and SOBO thru-hikers are asked to hike from Harts Pass to the Border, then backtracking south.
First, for a traveler hitchhiking to Harts Pass will be unfathomably difficult.  Second, who wants to backtrack 40'ish miles.
An alternative is via Ross Lake's East Bank Trail, then Lightning Creek Trail #749.  This will get you to Castle Pass and the PCT after 39 miles.  From Castle Pass it's 4.0 miles north to the border, then only a 4 mile backtrack.
To get to the East Bank Trailhead, hitch-hike (or drive) HWY 20 to near milepost 138, signed East Bank Trail (I believe the sign exists).
This 39 mile route to the PCT is an amazing trail, 14 miles along the shore of Ross Lake, then up Lightning Creek valley, then a hard slog up 3,700 ft in 3.5 miles for a ridge walk with great views.
Need maps?  I suggest Green Trail Maps: 4 of them - No 49 Mt Logan; No 48 Diable Dam; No 16 Ross Lake; No 17 Jack Mountain.
Permits: there are several great campsites along Ross Lake, and I believe they require permits, but I don't know if this is enforced.