[pct-l] Snow Advanced Course - Forester

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon May 2 15:20:02 CDT 2011

Hi, Dan!

I'm so glad you were there! I hope everyone else understood what I was
saying, advising, and encouraging them to do on the trail for safe passage.

I'll keep you posted as we finish up the details regarding the SAC from KM
to Kearsarge in May.

Because of the amount of snow up there (which we will see and deal with
first-hand on the above SAC), even in July there will be elongated approach
and descents of the major passes to be done safely over snow. With that in
mind, we encourage hikers to carry and know how to use good boots, traction
devices like the Kahtoola Microspikes, and an ice axe for the steep snow on
the passes. As we showed in our video-teaching from Muir Pass last year
(July), all of the above (including a self-arrest pole) has their time and
place in your arsenal of techniques you can use to assure your balance and
safety on snow.

The conditions up there are not that bad. Sure there will be snow. Just
learn how to be careful when on it, take your time (slow down and don't
expect to do more than 1 mile/hour on suncups and soft snow), and try to get
off it before you start post-holing by mid-afternoon. Snow adds so much
beauty to the High Sierra landscape that it is something not to miss,
really! With a little "common sense" about how you place your feet while
walking on snow, climbing in snow, and descending over snow, your SoBo JMT
trip in late July will be all the more fun and exciting!

We all want to have "ideal" conditions for our mountain adventures, but they
simply can't be realistically expected nor counted on when in the Sierra,
any time of year. Prepare for the worst, enjoy the best, and rest easy that
you know how to be aware of your surroundings, when the weather is changing,
and how to deal with anything that may come your way.

Should you need an exit point, make sure you have the maps to show you the
way out. That is one of the problems with strip maps. Of course, Red's,
Mammoth Pass, VVR, MTR, Bishop Pass and Parcher's Resort, all the
lesser-used eastern escape routes, Cedar Grove, Kearsarge Pass, Sheppard
Pass, and on out.

When it comes to sleeping bag ratings and your own metabolism, only you can
say whether a 20 degree bag will keep you warm in 20 degrees. A
manufacturer's "rating" is only a benchmark on the possible performance a
new bag might deliver. It is more important to your sound sleep how good
your internal furnace is at keeping you warm, cranking out the heat to put
into the bag in the first place. We have witnessed countless of our students
suffer from cold nights more from cold dinners or fatigue than from having
brought a sleeping bag that they haven't tested for themselves in the
weather conditions expected (ambient temp., humidity, and wind).

Personally, I take a bag "rated" to a colder temp than I expect to
encounter. If I get hot, I sleep under the bag as if it were a quilt or
blanket. If it gets cold, windy, or snowy, I have what it takes for a good
night's sleep!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education