[pct-l] Two Hikers Rescued on San Jacinto

Charles Doersch charles.doersch at gmail.com
Mon May 2 18:27:51 CDT 2011

Speaking for myself and my 4-man tribe, as 2012 thru-hikers-to-be (yet no
novices at gauging our own "skill sets and strategies" against prevailing
conditions no matter what they may be) -- we have found this board useful
when it provides insight how others are dealing/have dealt with prevailing
conditions and unforeseen/unforeseeable conditions.

I'm also a university professor, and am wayyyyy too familiar with the
culture of blaming that seems to inevitably develop here and there in
organizations (universities seem to do this big time). This kind of rhetoric
and reasoning quickly devolve, in my experience, to nastiness at the
personal level, and (if taken seriously) paralysis at the organizational
level: organizations become paralyzed by all the "what if's" -- and must
make all their decisions on anything they do, say, or suggest based on
worst-case scenarios, and they must presume largely inflexible, unadaptable
occur. That demeans us all.

No, I do not hold an organization (those holding the ADZ bash) responsible
or irresponsible for not knowing ahead of time what conditions might
day-to-day occur in various stretches of the trail .... and I don't hold
them responsible or irresponsible for whatever successful or unsuccessful
problem-solving strategies I utilize facing those challenges.

@postholer, with all due respect: You have posted: "Choosing an artificial
start date a year in advance and calling it
"Annual Day Zero" as the ADZ does without knowledge of future trail
conditions IS irresponsible."

Your reasoning then can be laid out as following: "It is irresponsible to
choose a start date in advance without knowledge of future trail
conditions."  [A is irresponsible unless B]

The corollary of your reasoning is, since we all know that no one can know *
future* trail conditions, that no start date can be chosen responsibly.

Well, as any of us can see, this is nonsense. And I'm sure that's not what
you mean. But it is where your line of reasoning seems to have led -- at
least here.

It seems self-evident that those of us who start our hike on any date --
whether a group of well-meaning folks imply by setting an ADZ date that a
certain start date is often taken  -- take responsibility for our own
decisions.

I'm not entitled to omniscient advice.

HYOH.

~Charles Doersch