[pct-l] Lugging Water

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue May 3 17:27:57 CDT 2011

Have you read Ray Jardine's book about lightweight hiking? If not,
he's got a good essay in there about what he calls the "pyramid of
style." Basically, he describes a spiral where you add more food so
you can hike farther, but the food weighs more so you tire more
easily and go slower so you add more food to make up for the extra
days which slows you even more, etc etc. At the other end of the
spiral, you've reduced your pack weight so you can walk with less
effort so you need less food, which reduces your effort even more so
you can cover more ground which again lessens the amount of food you
need, etc etc.

Same goes for water. Since you have experience in hot, dry country,
you maybe know about your water needs. "Cameling up" adds about a
liter to your water capacity (by putting a liter in your stomach.)
Add in what you require for cooking if you dry camp (see if you can
reduce the amount of washing, rinsing and other wasteful water tasks
or simply move your cooking, washing, teeth-brushing to coincide with
the water source--dry camping is then just sleeping and nothing more)
then you should have a good estimate of your needed capacity.

I prefer to use platypus-type containers because they fold up flat
when empty. The idea being that only once in a while will they all be
full and making packing my pack a challenge. A ~4 liter capacity is
more than adequate for me but others will tell you they need 5, 6 or
even more (but then if they're pushing 9 or 10 I'm thinking they're
in that spiraling pyramid of style again.)

Don't forget to include some salty foods in your pack and learn the
early symptoms of electrolyte imbalance (hyponatremia) so that you
can quickly solve that before you get sick. And remember, a little
bit of thirst or mild dehydration isn't going to kill you. There's a
difference between discomfort and danger. Being a *little bit*
thirsty when you get to a water source is actually good because then
you won't pee out that liter in your stomach.