[pct-l] IDEAS on what stove to use when cooking for 4

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed May 4 09:36:11 CDT 2011

I've cooked extensively for six using two cat can stoves for years on B.C.
kayaking trips, and cooked for 3 backpacking with one cat can stove, and it
has always worked fine.  I don't know the weight per amount of heat produced
when heating more water, but it works fine.  Along with the stoves I take
two larger than usual titanium pots, and just wait a bit longer for the
boil.   You have to get used to how much fuel you need to heat 6 or 8 cups,
but what ya gonna do in the evenings anyway?  I would recommend two pot
cozies for the larger pots, and try it at home to get used to it. But for
backpacking for 3, I never use anything more than one cat can.  Could be a
better way, but I'm just happy with the years of easy use of the cat can
stove.

I really agree with the others above regarding people carrying personal
gear.  Maybe you'd all leave trail together if someone couldn't go on, but
if you do have individual gear, one could be gotten off trail in case of an
accident or other issue, and the others could go on.  Several groups I met
last year had split up for a bit due to illness, and then when the ill
person was up to it, he just joined them on trail a bit further on.  As
Yoshihiro suggests, for safety sake, bring a penny stove or two and a bit of
alcohol, just so you have that potential for each person.  A penny stove
weighs almost nothing.

Shroomer