[pct-l] IDEAS on what stove to use when cooking for 4

abiegen at cox.net abiegen at cox.net
Wed May 4 11:44:31 CDT 2011

Steeleye wrote:

>I don't expect this is anything you, or your group, wants to hear but I
>think the best plan is for everyone to carry their own full array of
>ultra-lite gear.  It is very difficult for even two committed people to
>remain in close association for 4-5 months on the trail, and the likelihood
>of four making the trip would be very slim.

I have to ditto what Steeleye says. Even the Three Stooges weren't always the same stooges. And there were only three of them. Ok, sometimes four.

With one person, if you get tired and need to take a zero you do it. If you are slightly injured you just walk a little slower and maybe a shorter distance that day. With a couple, the chance for one of you to get tired or injured is twice as likely and that effects the other person. It goes up exponentially with the number in the group. If the group splits up for a couple of days, who gets the stove?

I hike all the time with Piper but almost always we each have our own set of gear. We do almost always share the tent since it is two pounds but everything else is doubled. Sounds inefficient but we feel that each person should be able to continue on if the other has to stop or quit for some reason.

TrailHacker

"When my feet hurt, I can't think straight"
Abraham Lincoln