[pct-l] IDEAS on what stove to use when cooking for 4

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Wed May 4 20:26:24 CDT 2011

Not everyone carries a map or knows how to read it accurately. It is easy to
get off-track at trail junctions (even marked ones), road crossings, and
unbridged water crossings. The PCT is full of these. Which trail is the PCT?
Which direction do I turn on the road to find the trail again, or does it
continue directly across? Should or can I cross here or is it safer/easier
up or downstream, and do I feel comfortable crossing alone?

To reduce the risk of accidental separation, a good rule of thumb is to
"breadcrumb". Do not pass a trail junction, road crossing, or significant
water crossing until the next member of your party has reached it. They now
stop and await the next member while you are free to go on ahead. The last
two members leave the junction together at their own respective speeds.

To address Swope's potty break issue when hiking with others, we always
leave an agreed upon and readily visible marker of some sort immediately
beside the trail on the side to which we are exiting when one of us leaves
the trail to for any reason. Be sure to retrieve your marker when you return
to the trail. Worst case scenario - something happens such that you don't
get back to the trail, the rest of your group passes by, and ultimately
gathers at the designated meeting spot........ but you don't appear. They
know where you left the trail and have a good chance of finding your body.
Your insurance company and your beneficiaries will appreciate that.

Wandering Bob