[pct-l] Early Start of PCT in Sierras

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Thu May 5 18:15:55 CDT 2011

Nate,

1) In the snow, don't expect to do much more than one or two miles per hour, depending on conditions. It is safer to go slow, maintain your balance, and be careful about your steps/footing. Once you start post-holing, reconsider how much further you really need to go that day. Plan to be off the snow by posting time and cruising on muddy, wet, or dry trail that at least you can see. A 15-mile day during thru hiker season (May, June, early July) in the high sierra is a long day. Average mileage is between 10 and 15 per day.

2) Leave the snow shoes at home and learn when and how to walk over snow. Get your miles done early in the day while the snow remains hard (before post holing). Plan to get below snow level by mid-afternoon and continue on with your miles if you must.

3) It is fair to say that, but don't count on it. Weather, including very cold temps. both day and night, snow, rain, and high winds, can happen during any month in the Sierra.

4) Technical ascents/descents: the PCT/JMT is non-technical (meaning in at least my mind, ropes, belays, etc.). If your partner has the skills to travel over snow, cross creeks, and avoid falling on snow, he may be able to convey and teach it to you. It is not hard. Always side toward safety and be careful with each footstep when on snow.

5) Most trail signs may be time consuming to find, if at all (depending on when you are there in the thaw cycle). You may find some at a low or exposed spot in the snow pack, but not be able to follow the trail far because it becomes buried again. Know how to follow trail above and below timberline. Use a gps to fine-tune your knowledge of where the trail is, exactly. Remember, you do not have to be on top of the trail to know where you are relative to where it is and where you are going. Map and compass? Yes. Primarily topo map with enough detail to differentiate fine details in the geography around you and on your high references.

Mountain Education may be leaving Kennedy Meadows in the vicinity of May 18th heading northward, as well. We will be teaching a Snow Advanced Course for our students and going out Kearsarge Pass.

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd