[pct-l] Backpack Packing strategies...

Yoshihiro Murakami completewalker at gmail.com
Thu May 5 23:53:47 CDT 2011

Dear Tortoise

I am not a professional researcher and have no professional knowledge.
I think your question is difficult to answer. The professionals
simplify experimental condition to clarify the parameters. Best way is
to carry out the field experiment, but it costs high and difficult to
execute, and many parameters must be controlled:

A field experiment : Some group of hiker hike for example ten miles in
two different conditions (light weight, heavy weight: pack weight must
be controlled) and measure their oxygen consumption. And if we compare
two different results of energy consumption, we can conclude something
in a limited condition (walking speed must be controlled). At present,
I cannot find those field experiments.

My imagination is:
The energy consumption will not increase within some pack weight. And
if the pack weight is over some weight, the energy consumption will
increase.  But, the proportion of increase of energy consumption might
be unpredictable. I think our imagination will fail.

The truth is not simple.

--
Sincerely
Hiro    ( Yoshihiro Murakami  村上宣寛 )