[pct-l] IDEAS on what stove to use when cooking for 4

Charles Doersch charles.doersch at gmail.com
Fri May 6 20:25:12 CDT 2011

Thanks, Dave,

Yep. We enjoy that style of hiking, too. :-)

What you've recommended as for cooking is pretty much exactly what we've
decided on for now. :-D   We're planning on using the MSR Reactor (we have
one already -- we'll get another). And the freezer bag cooking style that
I've been hearing examples of (in various permutations) + pot cozy sounds
like it saves fuel and mess. We presumed the individual portions &
components from our days long ago using Mountain House freeze-dried
backpacking food -- everyone could pick his own meal that night. But we
ain't doin' Mtn House no mo.

I don't think we'll be doing the dehydrating -- I'm guessing we'll do
variations with ingredients (instant mashed potatoes -- or couscous, etc.)
from what's available from stores along the way.

I'm a little hampered myself when doing Quik-E-Mart grocery shopping by my
reaction to MSG and nitrates (they give me blazing migraines). I'll be okay,
though -- I've learned to read labels carefully. But the rest of the family
isn't so limited by ingredients -- so they'll be able to have much greater
variety with what to mix & match in their individual-oriented meal bags.

Thanks, again. And thanks for yours & Andy's calculations, as well. That's
encouraging. Big time!

Cheers,

Charles Doersch