[pct-l] big bear/arrowhead taxis?

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Mon May 9 11:12:13 CDT 2011

David,
I did a lot of hitching during my ride from M. to C, in 2008 and 2009. I hitched
more than most hikers since I would leave my horse in safe care and drive my rig
north as far as 300 miles - and then hitch back. I usually had a ride in less
than 10 minutes - the longest was about 90 minutes. I think that's as fast as
calling for a taxi and waiting for it to arrive. If you are a thru-hiker you
will definitely have to sometimes use your thumb.

 Here are a couple of tips:  I used the 2008 orange bandanna that was given to
all of the hikers at the KICKOFF.  On one side it says "hiker to town", on the
other it says "hiker to trail".  I also made signs (using big letters) that I
pinned to the bandanna that indicated a town that was on the way to where I
wanted to go. Not too far. Someone who picks you up does not want to risk being
stuck with you for 100 miles! Once you have the ride you can ask how far they
are going. I would hold this up and flash a big smile. Also, always place your
pack in plain sight. When you get to Agua Dulce ask Donna S. to call me. I have
an extra bright orange bandanna, or she might have one.

MendoRider