[pct-l] Thru-riding, north to south

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Mon May 9 21:20:01 CDT 2011

Dorian,

You are GREATLY underestimating the difficulty of thru-riding the PCT. Over the
years many horses and mules have suffered and sometimes died of colic, have been
seriously injured, and have fallen to their deaths on the PCT. In 2009 two
riders started the PCT from the border of Mexico. Both had accidents. One horse
fell 50' off the trail and was badly injured. The other rider, sadly, killed
both horses when they fell several hundred feet. The rider was rescued by
helicopter - it was her third rescue. There are some parts that you could ride
safely. I have ridden more than 2000 miles of it and have been to both borders.
No colic. No injuries. I hope to be able to finish the Sierra part this summer.

I am a member of the Long Riders Guild and have ridden over 46,000 miles in
nearly 29 years.  At the request of the Guild I have written an article for
their website  on the subject of advice to equestrians wishing to ride on the
PCT. I suggest that you should start your research by reading it at:
thelongridersguild.com-advice/pct

We now have a stockmans forum on Postholer.  You can access the forum and other
information by typing in:         edandersonpct

I don't know of any feed stores on or near the PCT. You will definitely need a
truck and trailer - and perhaps someone to meet you at road crossings.

In several places it would be safer to not bring a second horse. I hope that you
realize that not all horses are equally capable of being ridden on the PCT. I
have written about what you should be looking for in a horse.

You need to do a LOT of research if you are seriously considering riding a lot
of miles on the PCT.

MendoRider