[pct-l] Ice on San Jacinto at 6,000'

Wes Rose wb104475 at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 10 02:15:34 CDT 2011

Last weekend I hiked from the Whitewater Reserve to Hwy 18 in Big Bear City.  1st night

camped where the PCT crosses Whitewater River and the low temp was 48 degrees.  The

following day made it to a few miles east of Mission Springs Campground at around 7200

elevation.  Temps got up to 94 at around 5,400 feet in Mission Creek Canyon that day and that

evening temps were also around 48 degrees.   As has been previously mentioned regarding this
section, good water all the way to Mission Springs campground.  Leaving Mission Springs

Campground on the 2nd day, temps were in the high 60s, low 70s all the way to Arrastre

Campground (aka Deer Springs).  However, on Saturday morning the temperature plunged to around

25 degrees.  Leaving Arrastre and heading towards Hwy 18, a cold, gusty wind kept

the temperature in the low to mid 40s through noon, when we arrived at Hwy 18.

Next to no snow whatsoever.  Anything that falls is going to evaporate immediately in

this area.  These cool temps over the past few days are a gift that may not be too long

enjoyed.  Bottom line - now is a very good time to be hiking Section C.