[pct-l] trail crew needs shuttle assist

mardav at charter.net mardav at charter.net
Tue May 10 13:43:09 CDT 2011

We are planning to remove blowdowns from Sect. C this Saturday and
Sunday.  We will work from Highway 18 to Van Dusen road.  This poses a
couple of problems for us.
First of all, Van Dusen Road is closed because a big rock is in the
road, so the gate is locked. Therefore we plan to start hiking from the
locked gate, hike up to the PCT and hike southbound to Highway 18.  We
will spend the night somewhere in the middle.  We can get all the work
done along the way.We aren't capable of doing all the work and hiking
out and back (24 miles in two days) so we need to do this as a one way
trip.  Hence the need for a shuttle.
We don't know a safe place to park.  We don't know if we can park safely
or legally at the locked gate.  We know we can't park at Highway 18.
The last time we parked there, we got a citation from the CHP.
We are hoping someone can advise us of a safe/legal place to park
nearby, and we are hoping someone can give Ray a ride from the parking
to Van Dusen on Saturday morning, and a ride from 18 to the parking area
on Sunday afternoon.  This would all be on pavement.
Can anyone recommend an angel or a service in Big Bear that might help
us pull this together so we can get this work done?
Someone suggested that we drive to the PCT Van Dusen crossing on Poligue
Cyn. Rd, but we don't want to drive our stock vehicle on that much rough
dirt road.  It's not designed for that.
Marion Davison "llamalady"