[pct-l] expired water treatment tablets

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Wed May 11 07:32:14 CDT 2011

David,

I have used Micropur tabs on the AT and PCT, but never ones that were >2 yrs expired.  I have looked for the guy's name that helped me with some discounts (he is a regioinal rep for Katadyn), but can't find it.  Sorry.  He might be at Trail Days this weekend, if you're close by Damascus.

Considering how expensive they are, I think I would risk it and use them, unless the seals have leaked.  I suspect that the expiration date really is for the waterproof sealing, not the chemicals inside, which really wouldn't change unless acted on by outside factors (heat, cold, moisture, sunlight, etc.).  Maybe carry some Aqua Mira as a backup and use the tabs IF it looks normal when you open the foil wrapper.  If the tab is wet or discolored, dump it and use AM.

This may warrant some further research before you toss them, if you have time.  Also, please share your findings with the List, again if you have time.  Good luck.

Thanks,

Mango