[pct-l] Skills Training Courses, Update

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed May 11 15:25:37 CDT 2011

Just wanted to update everyone:

The Kickoff-announced Advanced Snow Course from Kennedy Meadows (the southern one) to Kearsarge Pass in 11 days from May 20th to May 30th is now listed as, SAC (Snow Advanced Course) #1 over at our Postholer Forum http://postholer.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=25

We are adding other Snow Advanced Courses to be conducted as segments of the PCT during the Spring, as well, to teach advanced snow, creek-crossing, and advanced mountain skills:
#2 is Kearsarge Pass to Bishop Pass in 8 days.
#3 is Bishop Pass to Mono Pass in 9 days.
#4 is Mono Pass to Tuolumne Meadows in 9 days.
#5 is Tuolumne Meadows to Sonora Pass in 7 days.

(Please be patient as we write up each Course Description, these things take a while).

The SAC trips are designed to show future thru hikers:
- what the Sierra will look like when they'll be going through,
- teach them the skills they'll need to climb and descend the Passes, traverse the icy/crusty stuff safely, and cross those high-flow creeks to build confidence and dispel fears and concerns (so they can finish their Planning with a renewed and realistic awareness of just what it takes to do their thru hike),
- teach them how to navigate a buried trail through forest and above timberline calmly and confidently in some of the PCT's most rugged topography.

We will be adding other Summer Courses called Mountain Basic, Intermediate, or Advanced Courses (MBC, MIC, and MAC) to teach beginners and other aspiring long-trip hikers the skills they'll need to learn and anticipate to get around in the High Sierra on and off-trail safely in all conditions (just a little snow...) so they can plan and prepare for their trips better, knowing what it really takes, assuring themselves of a great and fun trip ahead. The idea is to set people free to enjoy those terrific granite cathedrals (we all know and love so much) on their own, not needing a guide, a class, or an instructor any more.

Right now, Mountain Education is officially becoming a Public Benefit, Non-Profit, 501(c)(3) entity in order to encourage people to step out into the mountains by teaching them the skills to do so confidently and safely. As you may know, our website has been in need of help for some time. If anyone out there would be willing to create this for us to help the hiking community better access what we do and offer, it would be so welcome! Scott at Postholer has been so kind to host our Forum where we have been able to list our Information and Courses, but everyone would be better served if all of it and more were at a normal website. If anyone can donate their services to get this done, email us now! Thank You!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd