[pct-l] Fw: 5 months ride using part of the PCT

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Thu May 12 12:20:43 CDT 2011

Hi Dorian,

My own direct experience riding alone with just one horse and that of four other
Long Riders that I have communicated with is that horses will begin to bond with
thier rider  when there is no other horse. YOU will become the other horse. This
will happen gradually during the first 10 days. They want a buddy. While they
would prefer another horse they will accept a human. They will become more and
more confident and trusting of you and your judgment and leadership. I have
experienced this with two horses. They will be more willing to follow when you
lead - even through places that they might otherwise be scary to them. I sang to
Primo and talked to him both in English and in horse. I learned several horse
communication sounds from him.  He responded to my touch and assurance. He liked
being scratched under his chin and along his mane just above his withers. Notice
that horses scratch each other above the withers. The bond will develop. This
same level of acceptance won't happen between you and your horse when he has a
real horse companion.

I recall a comment from Long Rider Joanne Lennox (she hiked and then rode the
PCT - she also rode the CDT). She is an advocate of one horse, one rider.  She
commented that (this, after the sad tragedy on the Little Giant Detour in
Washington in 2009) of all the riders who have ridden long distances on the PCT
with pack horses - all that she knew of had had accidents, either injuring or
even killing their horses. So many underestimate the PCT. Even the easier parts
sometimes  have obstacles and horse-challenging places. It is the most desirable
Sections scenically, that are usually the most challenging. You will be
attracted to them also. You will want to ride on them.  Even very
experienced professional Packers sometimes lose pack horses on that trail.

Since you mentioned that you will be stopping in Montana be sure to visit
Outfitters Supply in Columbia Falls. They will have a good selection of horse
equipment that you will need.

It would be less expensive to buy a used camper and trailer rig than to rent for
six months. You could resell the rig after your trip at perhaps only a little
loss. The camper would give you a comfortable living accommodation while
traveling from trail-head to trail-head. It should have at least a stove, a bed,
a sink and a portable toilet.