[pct-l] Banadanas

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Thu May 12 15:08:12 CDT 2011

> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 19:41:55 -0500
> From: "Andy Johnson" <andyj92 at aol.com>
> Subject: [pct-l] Banadanas
> To: <pct-l at backcountry.net>
>
> Would like to get a couple of decent bandanas. Didn't attend the KO. Too
> anxious to be moving.
>
> Tried using some found on internet. They bleed colors and/or don't absorb
> anything. (make your own jokes)
>
> Seems simple to make 100% cotton that absorbs perspiration. Oversize would
> also be nice.
>
> Maybe I'll just spend the winter cutting up 100% cotton sheets and sewing
> edges. Maybe go 16 X 16 or even 18 X 18.
>
> Suggestions-? sources, sizes, colors-? Stencil messages-?
> i.e. "PCT Hiker going to next town" or "Send Help"
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mother Hen for the "Lost Boys"...

The VERY best I've ever found have been from the open markets in southern
and central Mexico (ie, Pueble and south, eg, azuca de matamoros) - they're
100% cotton, hugely oversized, don't bleed color..  and generally are 20-30
cents each (ie, btwn 3 and 5 per dollar). I've got yellow ones, I've got red
ones, I 've got green ones, I've got blue ones etc etc....  over a decade's
use they will fade...  but a) given the price, who am I to complain, and b)
I take the fading is a badge of honor, ie, they've really been used
outside - hiking or climbing, I've always got one or two with me.
TheDuck