[pct-l] viability of Mission Creek Road as a bicycle - PCT intercept

David Lippke lippke.list at gmail.com
Fri May 13 11:55:53 CDT 2011

For tomorrow's hike out from I-10, I'm contemplating meeting up with my wife
in the evening by fighting my way up on this
rig<http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27085561/2011-05-08/IMGP6391.JPG>to
approximately Halfmile 226 on the dirt Mission Creek Road off of CA 62
around Desert Hot Springs.   Due to the unweighted rear wheel and "dragging
anchor" of the trailer wheel I can only get through about what a 2 wheel
drive vehicle could get through.   I've made it through the power line
access roads between Banning and Palm Springs -- for calibration, that's
right at limits in spots.

With the proviso that I push the thing through some draws, what is the
viability of doing this?    Is the road open use?   On one sat photo I see
what may be a locked gate.   Is it nasty deep sand over long stretches?
etc ..

Thanks, David