[pct-l] Hiker rescued near Snow Creek/Fuller Ridge was

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Sun May 15 12:43:32 CDT 2011

> Message: 12
> Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 15:19:17 -0700
> From: "Bob Bankhead" <wandering_bob at comcast.net>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Hiker rescued near Snow Creek/Fuller Ridge was
> NOT dehydrated
> To: "'Guthrie Nutter'" <guthrie.nutter at gmail.com>, "'Melissa
> Rexilius'" <melissa.rexilius at hotmail.com>
> Cc: pct-l at backcountry.net
>
> Let's be SURE it was food poisoning and doubly SURE that the alleged
> Mexican
> place was the source before we start calling them out in public. Libel
> laws
> apply to email too.

If the standard in this country for either libel or slander is "reckless
disregard for the truth," one might be guilty of spewing garbage about an
eating establishment, recounting an incident that is not representative, or
turning an establishment against hiker-trash that was previously willing to
help...  but neither libel nor slander (by the standard of the law) has
occurred by naming said establishment. Saying that if you eat at X you will
get sick and will feel like dying (without any knowledge of such) - that's
libel; but to say that I ate at X and the best I can tell it was what I ate
there that caused me to get sick and require a rescue - that's not. The
question then becomes: is it more important/a higher value to warn other
hikers of a possible problem, or, to possibly defame an establishment that
might have been previously helpful, with the expectation they will ceasing
being such?
TheDuck