[pct-l] Castle Crags State Park To Close

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Mon May 16 10:55:21 CDT 2011

Camping in state parks is already overpriced in many areas. Fees equal or exceed those of private campgrounds with more facilities, including hookups, showers, pools, etc. Not that I enjoy the crowds in these camps, but it can be as crowded in state camps. I usually prefer boondocking/stealth camping, but I've chosen cheaper commercial camps over state camps when all I need is a quick stop over.

The concessions that run some of our park and forest camps are nuts. They have junk all over their host site but drive around in noisy carts our dirt bikes making sure we don't do anything. For this we pay and pay.

I understand it costs money to operate a campground, but when I use nothing but a pit toilet and a flat spot to sleep I wonder just how that costs $25 or more a day.

AsABat

"Jim Keener ( J J )" <pct2010 at ridgetrailhiker.com> wrote:

It is government that has created and maintained these parks for decades. With low bid privatization, the public loses control and quality. Consider the food at Curry Village. That analysis works well when non profit organizations work li Jim Keener ( J J ) On May 16, 2011, at 5:55 AM, Gary Wright <gwtmp01 at mac.com> wrote: > > On May 16, 2011, at 12:19 AM, Tom Weir wrote: > >> It costs 22 million per year to keep 70 parks open. There are 36 million >> Californians. That comes to 61 cents per Californian per year to keep 70 >> parks open. > > That sort of analysis doesn't really work with budgets since you can apply it > to most things in a budget and conclude that since nothing is by itself > that expensive you should be able to afford everything! > > If anyone is interested, <http://parkprivatization.com/>; is an interesting blog > about privately run public parks. The sad thing is that many government > bureaucrats would rather see facilities closed than operated successfully > (and profitably) by private operators. They don't want anyone to demonstrate > their own ineffectiveness. Tends to lead to layoffs and such. > > Radar >_____________________________________________