[pct-l] that hydration pack taste

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Thu May 19 14:35:30 CDT 2011

Robert wrote:

Anybody have any thoughts on either vendors or practices that reduce or
remove this problem? Even relatively new packs seem to suffer from this. I
sometimes wonder if it just might be the tubing.

I haven't found the Platypus bladders to have a noticeable taste but maybe
I'm just not sensitive to it.  I do a couple of things to keep my bladders
in good shape.  First, I never put anything except water into them.  If I
want to use a drink mix of any kind I pour water into a separate bottle and
mix it up there.

Second, I make a point of not storing them full of water.  I'll either empty
them out, blow them up with air, and store them upside down, or I'll just
drop them into the freezer.

Third, if they do ever accumulate a strange taste, rinsing them with a
baking soda solution then with lemon juice will clear it right up.  It
probably also helps that I often use Aqua Mira in the bladders for water
treatment which keeps them sterile.

I do notice that the tube will give the water a plastic taste if it's been
sitting full of water and unused overnight.  The first couple of swallows
aren't always pleasant but it goes away quickly.

Eric