[pct-l] Hiker Trash (Literally)

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Sun May 22 22:37:20 CDT 2011

Tom wrote:

The note went on to say that the person leaving the trash was a thru-hiker
and did want to carry it all the way to the next town.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about in my previous message.  The
solution to this kind of behavior isn't just to talk more about LNT
principles.  These kinds of people already know intellectually what they
ought to do but they think that applies to normal life, not epic thru-hiker
life.  I can kind of understand how this happens.  Yeah, we joke about
homeless hiker trash but in a lot of ways thru-hikers get treated like rock
stars.  People are always giving them free stuff and going out of their way
to do things for them and speaking to them with open admiration and envy.
(Ok, some people do actually treat thru-hikers like homeless people but you
know what I'm talking about.)  It's no wonder that some people's sense of
reality gets distorted and they start acting like rock stars.

Eric